Starting April 1st, there will be a new, simpler menu in schools. All breakfasts and lunches will continue to be free for all student. Popular items will be offered more frequently. There will be lots of fresh fruits and vegetables. We hope that you will give the meals a try!
Highlights of our streamlined menu:
Breakfast: Two choices offered daily, including hot options served twice a week.
- Cold choices include cereals, muffins, or yogurt, always offered with fresh fruit and 100% juice, and non-fat or 1% milk.
- Cereals continue to be whole grain and limited in sugar. Cereals that are perceived as sugary, although available to school districts in a low sugar version, will not be offered.
Lunch: We offer student favorites more often in our new-three week menu cycle.
- Three choices will be offered daily with both hot and cold entrée options.
- Previously, schools with grades K-8 had three meal choices and high schools had four entrée choices.
- Cold meal options include entrée salads, subs and sandwiches. Additionally, peanut butter and jelly sandwiches are available.
- Fruit offerings are unchanged, with fresh fruit and 100% juice, daily.
Milk offerings are unchanged and include nonfat and low-fat options.
Check out the April Menus at: https://schoollunchboston.wordpress.com/menu/ and tell us what you think of the new menu by emailing us at SchoolFoodBoston[at]bostonpublicschools.org.