EATING – Mrs. Veggie-Fruit’s Jump Rope Contest from Boston Public Schools AYVProject on Vimeo.
Check out this student-made video about making healthy food choices. Through a partnership between BPS Office of Instructional and Information Technology (OIIT) -TechBoston unit and BPS Career and Technical Education, students participated in the Adobe Youth Voices Project (AYVProject) to develop videos on topics that are important to today’s youth. These videos cover a variety of topics from autism awareness, to teen voting, to making healthy food choices. To check out all the videos click here.
Congrats to the BPS TechBoston Apprentice Interns for promoting healthy food choices and all the students who created videos through the AYVProject!
Tell us, what does healthy eating look like to YOU?
In Boston Public Schools we are serving up locally grown fruits and veggies on the lunch line every Thursday for Local Lunch Thursdays. Today’s Local Lunch Thursday special is Roasted Brussel Sprouts from Hadley, Massachusetts.
What’s so great about brussel sprouts? These tasty little veggies are packed with vitamin C! And did I mention they are super tasty?! Here is the recipe if you’d like to try them at home!
Roasted Brussel Sprouts Recipe
makes 4-6 servings
1.5 lbs Brussel Sprouts
3 Tbs. oil (preferably olive oil)
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
1-2 Tbs of fresh lemon juice (about 1/4-1/2 of a lemon; adjust to your taste preference!)
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (205 degrees C).
2. Wash and prep brussel sprouts. Trim bottoms and cut in half lengthwise.
3. In a large bowl, toss brussel sprouts with oil and evenly coat. Sprinkle salt and pepper and toss until evenly distributed.
4. Roast in preheated oven for 30-45 minutes, shaking the pan every 5-7 minutes for even browning. Brussel sprouts are ready when they turn bright green and deep golden brown on the edges and can easily be stabbed with a fork.
5. Remove from the oven, squeeze fresh lemon juice over the roasted brussel sprouts and toss to evenly coat. Serve immediately and enjoy!
How do YOU cook your brussel sprouts? Please share your recipes in the comment section of this post!